DAEYANG GALLERY AND HOUSESeoul, Korea 2012
PROGRAM: residential and art gallery
CLIENT: Daeyang Shipping Co. Ltd.
10,703 sq ft
The private gallery and house is sited in the hills of the Gangbuk section of Seoul, Korea. The basic geometry of the building is inspired by a 1967 sketch for a music score by the composer Istvan Anhalt, “Symphony of Modules,” discovered in a book by John Cage titled “Notations.”
Three pavilions; one for entry, one residence, and one event space, appear to push upward from a continuous gallery level below. A sheet of water establishes the plane of reference from above and below.
After passing through a bamboo formed garden wall at the entry court, ascending steps into the entry pavilion bring the viewer at elbow height with the unifying sheet of water. Here, at the center of this place is an inner feeling with the sky, water, vegetation and the reddened patina of the copper walls all reflected in different ways.
The red and charcoal stained wood interiors of the pavilions are activated by skylight strips of clear glass that are cut into the roof. Sunlight turns and bends around the inner spaces, animating them with the changing light of each season and throughout the day. Like a cesura in music, strips of glass lenses in the base of the pool break through the surface, bringing dappled light to the white plaster walls and white granite floor of the gallery below.
Exteriors are a rain screen of custom patinated copper, which ages naturally within the landscape.
The Daeyang Gallery and House is heated and cooled with geothermal wells.
- 2012 2012 EMIRATES GLASS LEAF AWARD
- 2012 ANNUAL DESIGN REVIEW AWARD
- 2013 AIA NY HONOR AWARD
- 2013 ARCHITIZER A+ AWARD JURY WINNER
- 18 December 2012: Daeyang Gallery and House Wins Award in 2012 Annual Design Review
- 25 September 2012: Daeyang Gallery and House Wins 2012 LEAF Award
- 10 July 2012: Steven Holl Architects presents two short films on the Daeyang Gallery and House
- 01 June 2012: Daeyang Gallery and House Completed in Seoul, Korea
- Steven Holl ( design architect, principal )
- JongSeo Lee ( associate in charge )
- Annette Goderbauer ( project advisor, associate ) Francesco Bartolozzi, Marcus Carter, Nick Gelpi, Jackie Luk, Fiorenza Matteoni, Rashid Satti, Dimitra Tsachrelia (project team)
- Chris McVoy ( project advisor, senior partner )
- local architect
- structural engineer
- mechanical engineer
- lighting consultant
- facade panels
- general contractor
– Steven Holl Architects
– E.rae Architects
– SQ Engineering
– Buksung HVAC+R Engineering
– L'Observatoire International