LEWIS ARTS COMPLEX - PRINCETON UNIVERSITY2017
PROGRAM: Lewis Center for the Arts, performance and teaching spaces for the Program in Theater and Dance, the Department of Music and the Princeton Arts Fellows
CLIENT: Princeton University
145,000 sq ft
The program for The Lewis Center for the Arts includes, a theatre and dance building, an arts building, and a music building with instrumental rehearsal and practice rooms. All three buildings are integrated in a forum below ground. The project aims to create a new campus gateway; shaping campus space while maximizing porosity and movement from all sides.
Overlook views into the dance and theatre practice spaces and the orchestral rehearsal space are aimed at provoking curiosity and interaction. As an open public invitation, this gateway space aims to connect the local community to the University.
Each of the three buildings’ interiors is developed uniquely.
The Wallace Theater and Dance Building is developed according to the idea of a “thing within a thing”. Within the overall concrete frame, the black-box theatre is comprised of steel, while the dance theatres are foamed aluminum, white washed wood and board formed concrete. A “dancing stair” connects all levels.
The Arts Building is developed with an embedded concept by its concrete and stone tower connecting to Princeton’s historic Blair Arch.
The Music Building is developed according to an idea of “suspension”. Above the large orchestral rehearsal room individual practice rooms are suspended on steel rods. Acoustically separate, these individual wooden chambers have a resonant quality.
- 2017 ARCHITECT'S NEWSPAPER, 2017 BEST BUILDING - MID ATLANTIC
- 2018 PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS SOCIETY OF MERCER COUNTY, PROJECT OF THE YEAR AWARD
- 30 October 2017: New Photos of Lewis Arts complex by Paul Warchol
- 05 October 2017: Lewis Arts Complex at Princeton University Opens with Arts Festival
- 18 September 2017: Opening of Lewis Center for the Arts complex at Princeton University to be celebrated in multi-day Festival of the Arts and exhibition curated by Steven Holl Architects
- 02 August 2016: Construction Update: Lewis Center for the Arts, Princeton University
- 06 April 2016: Construction Update: Lewis Center for the Arts at Princeton University
- 13 January 2016: Lewis Center for the Arts at Princeton University tops out
- 17 September 2008: Princeton Arts complex design intended to embrace campus and community
- 17 January 2008: Steven Holl Architects Chosen to Design Arts Buildings for Princeton University
- Steven Holl ( design architect, principal )
- Noah Yaffe ( partner in charge )
- Christina Yessios ( project architect, associate )
- Nathan Rich ( project architect )
- Chris McVoy ( project team, senior partner )
- JongSeo Lee ( project architect, senior associate ) Whitney Forward, Martin Kropac, Scott Fredricks, Alfonso Simelio, Arseni Timofejev, Michael Haddy, Yasmin Vobis, Zach Cohen, Jing Han, Laetitia Buchter, Ying Yi Cai, Gary He, Asami Takahashi, Ebbie Wisecarver, David Alan Ross (project team)
- associate architects
- structural engineer
- MEP engineer
- landscape architect
- theatrical systems consultant
- facade consultant
– Steven Holl Architects
– BNIM Architects
– Michael Van Valkenburgh and Associates
– Auerbach Pollock Friedlander | Auerbach Glasow
– Front Inc.