INSTITUTE FOR CONTEMPORARY ART, VCURichmond, United States 2017
PROGRAM: gallery spaces, lobby, 247-seat performance space, cafe, administrative offices, classroom, sculpture terrace, art storage spaces.
41,000 sq ft
Sited at the edge of the Virginia Commonwealth University campus in Richmond, Virginia, the new Institute for Contemporary Art will link the University with the surrounding community. On the busiest intersection of Richmond at Broad and Belvidere Streets, the building will form a gateway to the University with an inviting sense of openness.
The main entrance is formed by an intersection of the performance space and forum, adding a “Z” component to the “X-Y” movement of the intersection. The torsion of these intersecting bodies is joined by a “plane of the present” to the galleries in “forking time.”
The idea of “forking time” suggests that in the world of contemporary art there are many parallel times. The notion of one ongoing time and its “grand narrative” of history is questioned. The new Institute for Contemporary Art is organized in four galleries, each with a different character.
With its inviting double-fronted forum opening to a serene sculpture garden, the 41,000 sq ft building will provide spatial energy for the most important cutting-edge contemporary art exhibits. Propelled by VCU’s top-ranked School of the Arts, the ICA's architecture is an instrument for exhibitions, film screenings, public lectures, performances, symposia, and community events, engaging the University, the city, and beyond.
Watch the building take shape with VCU's construction cam.
- 2017 ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST, MOST ANTICIPATED BUILDINGS OF 2018 LIST
- 2018 THE ART NEWSPAPER, MOST IMPORTANT MUSEUM OPENINGS OF 2018 LIST
- 17 October 2017: New Institute for Contemporary Art at VCU Will Open April 21, 2018
- 01 November 2016: Construction Update: Markel Center at Virginia Commonwealth University
- 03 June 2014: Virginia Commonwealth University New Institute for Contemporary Art celebrates groundbreaking
- 13 September 2012: "Steven Holl Architects: Forking Time" Exhibition Opens At Virginia Center for Architecture
- 25 April 2012: Virginia Commonwealth University Unveils Design for New Multidisciplinary Arts Institution Designed by Steven Holl Architects
- 19 April 2012: Steven Holl Architects to unveil design for Virginia Commonwealth University's Institute for Contemporary Art at Meulensteen on April 26
- 31 May 2011: Steven Holl Architects Selected to Design New Institute for Contemporary Art at Virginia Commonwealth University
- Steven Holl ( design architect, principal )
- Chris McVoy ( design architect, partner in charge )
- Dominik Sigg ( project architects )
- Dimitra Tsachrelia ( project architects ) Garrick Ambrose, Rychiee Espinosa, Scott Fredricks, Gary He, Martin Kropac, JongSeo Lee, Yasmin Vobis, Christina Yessios (project team)
- associate architects
- Charles Piper ( partner in charge )
- Bo Fairlamb ( project manager )
- Jason Dufilho ( project architect )
- structural engineer
- mechanical engineer
- landscape consultant
- lighting consultant
- audio/visual consultant
- theater technical consultant
– Steven Holl Architects
– BCWH Architects
– Robert Silman Associates
– Michael Boucher Landscape Architecture
– L'Observatoire International
– Convergent Technologies Design Group, Inc.
– Theatre Projects Consultants